Friday 22 November 2013

Everybody get with a partner.

So here we are, mid way through November and that can mean only one thing.  No not nearly Christmas it is time to stat pairing up my royals for the upcoming breeding season, which is just as good as Christmas.  I am going to show below my plans for this season, as well as the guides and tips provided by professionals that I will be using.

Last year I used the Justin Kobylka 'recipe' for the royal breeding season, and that worked really well for me, I got a good clutche from both of my females at the time, each with 5 healthy eggs.  I will pop a link just here directly to his routine and tips for the breeding season.  I found that this method is really easy to follow and shows you the behaviour to expect from your snakes correlating to specific milestones in the season e.g. follicular development and cool seeking.  Although this method worked really well, I have decided to use it as more of a skeleton this year as opposed to a strict set of rules to follow like last year.  I have also been browsing the internet at various other breeding guides and came across the Markus Jayne guide, which is also brilliant.  It has loads of useful information, as well as photos indicating what to keep an eye out for throughout the breeding season.  The link to this is here (I feel all technologically advanced putting all these links in).  This guide tells you everything that you need to know, and then some. 

As I mentioned before I am going to use a combination of the Justin Kobylka 'recipe' and the Markus Jayne as my plan of attack for this years breeding season.  I began to drop the Temperatures within the royals enclosures on the 1st of November, and males were introduced in to females on the 10th of November for the first time.  I am happy to say I have already witnessed some locks between Alvin and sue, as well as Bumbeel and Ruby.  Although I have not seen any locks between my other pairings it is still really early in the breeding season.  Listed below are the pairings that I will be working with, as well as the possible hatchlings that could be produced:

Alvin (albino) x Sue (het albino): het albino. albino.
Burtie (fire het pied) x Sally (double het albino pied): normal, fires, possible DH albino pied, pied, pyro pied.
Bumbeel (bumblebee) x Ruby (normal): normal, pastel, spider, bumblebee.
Bumbeel (bumblebee) x Amber (lesser) normal, pastel, spider, lesser, lesser pastel, lesser bee, queen bee.

And there it is, my action plan for the upcoming season.  hopefully everything goes to plan and all works out for me, if not I can learn from the season and make changes next year.  I will hopefully get clutches from all of my females and cannot wait until I see signs that indicate follicle growth, ovulation, gravid female etc.  I will keep updates coming throughout the season as to what is going on, fingers crossed for a great season ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment